If you love the idea of being able to grind your own coffee beans at home before you brew yourself a cup, you’ll need to get your hands on the best grind and brew coffee maker for 2020: find a perfect duo to make your coffee-drinking session even more enjoyable.
You’ll need to ensure you choose a machine that offers you the best features, though.
What, exactly, is a grind and brew coffee machine?
This coffee machine is your personal barista! It takes your fresh beans and grinds them before brewing coffee with them.
Doing this at the same time is beneficial to ensure that more flavor gets into your coffee. With that in mind, let’s look at five of the best grind and brew coffee machines on the market.
We’ll tackle their features, benefits, cons, and costs in our reviews to help you choose one that will make delicious coffee a daily routine in your home.
- 1 Best Grind And Brew Coffee Maker – Reviews & Buying guide for 2020
- 1.1 Best Overall: KRUPS Grind and Brew Auto-Start Coffee Maker
- 1.2 Runner Up: Cuisinart Grind-and-Brew Thermal Automatic Coffeemaker
- 1.3 Alternative: Breville Grind Control Coffee Maker
- 1.4 Alternative: Sboly Coffee Machine Grind and Brew
- 1.5 Alternative: Capresso CoffeeTeam GS Digital Coffeemaker
- 2 Grind and brew coffee makers FAQ
- 2.1 What are the advantages of grind and brew coffee makers?
- 2.2 What type of grinder is in the grind and brew coffee makers?
- 2.3 How to clean a grind and brew coffee maker?
- 2.4 What grind is best for grind and brew coffee makers?
- 3 Conclusion
Best Grind And Brew Coffee Maker – Reviews & Buying guide for 2020
Best Overall: KRUPS Grind and Brew Auto-Start Coffee Maker
This KRUPS coffee machine has it all: it grinds and brews so you can turn your kitchen into a coffee shop. Let’s see why it’s so highly rated as the best coffee maker with grinder
- Five grind options
- Brew strength selector
- Conical burr grinder
- This coffee maker has a conical burr grinder that ensures you can grind your coffee beans perfectly before you brew them. So it’s like a two-in-one machine that will ensure you get coffee with all its rich flavors and aromas. This also prevents you from having to make use of a separate grinder.
- You’ve got many options at your disposal, from five grind settings to a brew strength selector, so you can make sure you drink the coffee you like in the way you like it.
- There’s nothing worse than a cold cup of coffee. This coffee machine prevents that from happening, thanks to its warming feature that ensures your cup of coffee can stay warm for two hours.
- You can program the coffeemaker to schedule a coffee brewing cycle.
- You can also make use of the “pause and serve” feature. This ensures that you can stop the brewing cycle to pour yourself a cup of coffee without having to wait. It’s perfect for use on busy mornings.
- The coffeemaker’s carafe is designed with a curved spout to prevent spills.
- This machine has an LCD screen and intuitive controls so programming it to suit your needs is a breeze.
- Some people have reported that they battle to make strong coffee when using this coffee machine with grinder.
- People have also expressed disappointment with the company’s customer service, citing that it takes the company days to reply to their queries and issues.
- The grinder is quite loud, which could be off-putting to some people.
- You can wash the glass pot and filter receptacle in your dishwasher, but just make sure you place them in the upper rack.
- You can easily remove the gold tone filter, so cleaning up doesn’t have to be a chore.
This KRUPS coffee machine and grinder makes a breeze out of making coffee in the mornings, while offering you greater customization.
This is the perfect machine to buy if you want a grind-and-brew coffee machine that will go the distance and give you quality coffee for many years.
Runner Up: Cuisinart Grind-and-Brew Thermal Automatic Coffeemaker
This is another coffeemaker that has a 10-cup capacity, but it boasts some amazing features that you’ll want in a quality coffeemaker. Let’s check it out!
- Multiple programming functions
- Charcoal water filter
- Steel carafe
- This machine is completely programmable so you never have to settle for a cup of coffee that’s average. It’s got an automatic shut-off feature, a one-to-four cup setting, and a “grind-off” option that’s suitable for pre-ground coffee.
- It comes with lots of other items, such as a charcoal water filter, a measuring scoop, and instruction book, and a permanent gold tone filter. So, straight out of the box, you’ll have everything you need to start making delicious coffee at home.
- By making use of its programmable functions, you can put fresh coffee beans into the machine and then program it to grind and brew you a beautiful cup of coffee first thing in the morning. No hassle, no stress – and you can start your day with a delicious cup the minute you wake up.
- The coffee machine’s carafe is made of steel and it’s insulated so it will keep your coffee warm for a long time.
- Some people who have used this coffee machine have reported that the coffee grinding is quite loud and you can’t change how you grind the coffee. It is pre-set so that it will always take a certain amount of time.
- The grinder has a clear cover on it which will stain and look less than attractive over time.
- The coffeemaker’s brushed stainless steel exterior doesn’t reveal smudges or fingerprints, so it always looks stylish on your kitchen counter.
- The machine is user-friendly and easy to set different functions.
This Cuisinart coffeemaker is the best grind-and-brew coffee machine, especially if you’re a beginner or you’re the type of coffee drinker who wants their drink to remain hotter for longer.
Alternative: Breville Grind Control Coffee Maker
This Breville coffee machine has totally new features that haven’t been found in many others, so it’s definitely one to consider if you’re in the market for a coffee machine that can grind and brew.
- Eight coffee-strength settings
- 12-cup capacity
- Six grinder settings
- While many coffee makers have three-strength settings you can choose from, this one by Breville has eight!
- You can choose the “pre-ground coffee” setting to brew coffee according to your preferences.
- It has more capacity than some other coffee makers on the market – you can brew up to 12 cups at a time.
- The LCD screen is easy to use and provides you with useful information, such as regarding the machine’s water level, grinding time, brewing time, and more so you can stay on top of the coffee-making process.
- The burr grinder has six settings that allow you to choose the best grind for your coffee. This is the first home coffee maker that comes with an adjustable grinder as well as a calibration feature so you can grind coffee before you brew it and customize the coffee you wish to use, such as when it comes to grind size.
- People have reported that the coffee doesn’t stay as warm as they would have liked.
- The machine requires lots of cleaning.
- Some people have also reported that the machine is quite complicated to use, so it might not be ideal for beginners.
- One of the nice extra features about this coffee machine is that it comes with a removable drip tray so it can accommodate taller cups, mugs, and travel mugs.
- It has a stylish and sleek appearance.
This coffeemaker is a game changer for your coffee. Although it’s a bit more expensive than other types of machines you’ll find on the market, it offers features that separate it from the rest.
Alternative: Sboly Coffee Machine Grind and Brew
If you’re looking for a coffee grinding and brewing machine that costs a bit less than the previous one we featured but still gives you solid features in a machine, you’ll love this one by Sboly. Here’s what you need to know about it.
- Automatic brewing
- To Go mug included
- Programmable features
- This Sboly coffee machine makes getting your caffeine fix in the morning really easy. It grinds whole coffee beans and immediately starts brewing afterwards.
- You can choose to grind whole coffee beans or use pre-ground coffee.
- You can choose between fine and coarse coffee-grinding options.
- It has a one-touch pause feature. If you want to stop the brewing at any time, you’ll love this feature.
- It comes with a removable drip tray that has adjustable levels so you can choose the right height and this will prevent spills.
- It doesn’t have a cup size choice, so no matter how much water you put into the machine you’ll get the same amount of coffee.
- This coffee machine comes with a To Go mug that’s made out of stainless steel.
- Most of the machine’s parts are safe to be cleaned in the dishwasher.
This Sboly coffee machine won’t break the bank but it will give you flavorful coffee.
While it shares many features you’ll find on other quality grind-and-brew coffee machines, it does have some extras that make it even more worthwhile, such as how it’s easy to clean and comes with a mug.
Alternative: Capresso CoffeeTeam GS Digital Coffeemaker
This Capresso grind-and-brew machine is another must to consider if you want to grind your own coffee beans. But it also gives you other options if you’re serious about coffee. Let’s check out its features in more detail.
- Conical burr grinder
- Transparent cover
- Optional grinder removal
- This coffee maker with burr grinder has a conical burr grinder that saves space while making use of direct-feed technology. This ensures that you get a finer grind.
- It grinds the coffee beans and then immediately starts brewing them to ensure greater flavor in your cup. You can also program it to automatically grind and brew when you want, which is a great way to ensure you’ll always have hot coffee when you wake up.
- Not just easy to clean, the detachable transparent cover enables you to check up on the coffee-making process.
- This coffee machine has a gold tone filter. This is more sustainable than using paper filters in the machine, plus it’s also safe for cleaning in the dishwasher.
- One of the best things about this coffee machine is that it can be used without the grinder. So, if you want to enjoy flavored, decaf, or pre-ground coffee, you can.
- Some people have reported that this machine battles to grind oily beans, and they tend to stick together.
- It’s not easy to clean the machine’s grinder.
- Some people have reported that the thermal carafe only keeps their coffee warm for about half an hour.
- This coffee machine comes with a charcoal filter to remove impurities in water, such as chlorine. This ensures better-tasting coffee.
- It makes use of direct-feed technology so that moisture is kept away from the machine’s grinder, thus preserving the quality of the coffee beans.
- It comes with a two-hour safety shut-off feature. The machine will turn off automatically to prevent wasting energy.
This Capresso coffee machine is the best coffee machine with grinder if you want a machine that’s convenient, versatile, and packed with extra features to make grinding and brewing your own coffee at home an enjoyable experience.
Grind and brew coffee makers FAQ
Have an idea of the grind and brew coffee machine you should purchase? Wait – read these questions and answers before you go ahead.
What are the advantages of grind and brew coffee makers?
If you invest in a grind and brew coffee maker, you’ll be able to make the most of several advantages. These include:
- Greater convenience. You don’t have to hassle with grinding your own coffee or using instant coffee instead because it was such a hassle. By simply pressing a button on your grind and brew coffee maker, you’ll be able to grind coffee beans and enjoy a delicious hot cup of coffee.
- Greater control. You can quickly and easily customize the type of coffee you make and change it from one day to the next if you like, all because of how grind and brew coffee machines are built to be programmable.
- Save your time. You have a busy life and already feel like there’s not enough time to get everything done. But with a grind and brew coffeemaker you don’t have to spend a lot of time having to make your own coffee. You can simply put the beans into the machine and then let it get grinding! Some machines even offer you the feature of beginning to brew the coffee as soon as it’s been ground.
- More flavorful coffee. By grinding your own coffee, you’ll be able to make the most of the flavors that are in it. This is because coffee’s aromatic flavors will be released from its beans during the grinding process. You will be able to further lock in that flavor because once the beans have been grinded, they can immediately be brewed, so there’s no loss of deliciousness.
- Extra features. To make the process of coffee making even more convenient, many grind and brew coffee machines offer extra features, such as an automatic shut-off feature. This means that if you leave it on, you don’t have to worry about it consuming electricity because it will turn off automatically.
What type of grinder is in the grind and brew coffee makers?
Coffee grinders will either be burr or blade grinders. Let’s look at what these are in more detail.
These grinders use two serrated pieces of ceramic or metal. They are positioned at a certain distance from each other and spin to crush the coffee beans to the size you want. There are different types of burr grinders:
- Flat or conical burrs: flat burrs contain two rings with a space between them – this is where beans enter the grinder so they can be crushed. Conical burrs have a cone in their ring. This grinds up the beans so that they can be the correct size.
- Steel or ceramic burrs. The steel burrs can make the grinder less expensive, but they don’t have a lifespan as long as ceramic burrs. You’ll usually find ceramic burrs in manual grinders.
Blade grinders sometimes get a bad rap because they’re said to be not as great at grinding beans as burr grinders. But they do have some advantages that make them worth purchasing.
- For starters, they’re less expensive than burr grinders.
- They make use of a blade that chops the coffee beans. This blade is powerful and rotates fast so that it can cut the beans into small granules, and this type of grinder is sometimes called a propeller grinder because of how the blades oscillate.
- By keeping your coffee beans in the grinder for longer, the blade will produce a finer result.
However, blade grinders are considered to be less accurate than burr machines because the blade is not always going to consistently give you an even result. Another thing to consider when it comes to blade coffee grinders is that they can be noisier than burr grinders.
While blade grinders are said to be great for beginners because they’re cost-effective and simple to use, people who want to increase the quality of their coffee by having evenly-ground beans will want to make use of a burr grinder instead.
There are also manual and automatic coffee grinders to consider. Let’s quickly touch on what they’re about.
These grinders make use of burrs and this is what makes them of high quality, according to some people. As their name suggests, you crush the coffee beans by turning a hand crank.
Manual grinders are liked for giving you greater control over the grinding process, but this has the drawback of making them a little less convenient, which is why there are automatic coffee grinders.
These coffee grinders save you time and money because they work really easily. You don’t have to do anything more than choose the grind setting, put your beans into the grinder, and then push a button on the machine.
Automatic grinders are great for giving you an even grind, which makes your coffee taste better.
And, as we have seen in our coffee makers with grinders built in reviews, there are many quality machines that will grind and brew your coffee in one go, taking the hassle out of making delicious coffee.
How to clean a grind and brew coffee maker?
You have to clean your grind and brew coffee maker on a regular basis so that it functions at its peak.
Before you clean your grind and brew coffee maker, you should always read the instruction manual that came with your machine to ensure that you clean it in the way it’s meant to be cleaned. The cleaning instructions for your machine will also vary from one machine to another.
However, let’s look at some common steps you will probably have to take to clean your machine.
- First things first, switch off your coffee machine and unplug it.
- Open the reservoir lid and remove the grinder basket.
- Open the filter basket door so you can remove the basket holder as well as its cover.
- Remove the reservoir lid.
- Fill your kitchen sink with water and dish soap. Wash all the items that you can remove from the machine.
- Make sure you rinse them well after washing and dry them with a clean cloth or dish towel.
- Remember to check the instruction manual of the machine as you might be able to put some of the items into the dishwasher.
Once in a while, it’s also important to descale your machine so that you remove minerals like calcium and magnesium that are present in hard water and can accumulate in your machine. You can do this with one part white vinegar and two parts cold water.
- Put this mixture into the coffee machine’s reservoir.
- Then, switch the coffee maker on and run a pot with this blend.
- Once it’s made its way through the coffee machine, you want to run cold water on its own through the machine to rinse it out properly.
- You might have to do this a few times to be sure that the water doesn’t have any vinegar residue in it.
What grind is best for grind and brew coffee makers?
The coffee grind that you use for your grind and brew coffee maker will depend on the machine you’re using, but it’s usually a good idea to stick to medium grind.
This is because if the coffee is too fine it can cause the filter to clog, and this in turn will cause the water in the machine to back up. When choosing the best coffee grind, it’s a good idea to check the machine’s instruction manual.
There are different sizes you’ll need your coffee grounds to be for different types of coffee that you wish to brew. Here’s a rundown of some of the most popular ones:
- Extra fine: This is suitable for coffee types such as Turkish coffees so that the coffee will dissolve in the water at a faster rate.
- Fine: Espressos do well with fine coffee grounds, but you can also use extra fine.
- Medium: This is considered ideal for automatic coffee machines and drip machines.
- Coarse: This is used for a French-press brew.
- Extra coarse: This is best for cold coffee brew.
It’s worth noting that the coffee grind size you choose won’t result in a stronger coffee, but it does affect the brewing time of the coffee. For example, a finer coffee ground will cause your coffee to brew at a faster rate than a coarser ground.
If you want to purchase a coffee machine, you should seriously consider purchasing a grind and brew coffee maker.
Not only does it make your life more convenient, but it ensures a more aromatic and delicious cup of coffee. In this article, we’ve reviewed five of the best grind and brew coffee makers on the market so you can choose the best one for your kitchen and lifestyle.
Last Updated on May 15, 2021