Pour-over coffee has been around since the 1900s but it’s growing in popularity again.
It’s all about a return to coffee simplicity and being able to customize your cup.
What, exactly, is pour-over coffee?
Pour-over coffee is the art (and simplicity) of making coffee by pouring water over the coffee grounds and using a filter. It requires concentration and technique.
While making pour-over coffee manually can be a tiring process and prevent you from getting the same result every single time because there’s so much room for error, by choosing to use a pour-over coffee maker you’ll be able to replicate your excellent results every day.
Here’s the best pour over coffee maker for every budget.
- 1 Best Pour Over Coffee Maker – Reviews & Buying guide for 2020
- 1.1 Best Overall: CHEMEX Pour-Over Glass Coffeemaker
- 1.2 Runner Up: brim 8 Cup Pour Over Coffee Maker
- 1.3 Alternative: COSORI Pour Over Coffee Maker
- 1.4 Alternative: ParkBrew Pour Over Coffee Maker
- 1.5 Alternative: Aquach Pour Over Coffee Maker Set
- 2 Pour Over Coffee Maker FAQ
- 3 Conclusion
Best Pour Over Coffee Maker – Reviews & Buying guide for 2020
Best Overall: CHEMEX Pour-Over Glass Coffeemaker
At first glance, this best pour over coffee maker by Chemex looks like something out of a science lab. Here’s why it makes our number-one spot.
- Odor-free borosilicate glass construction
- Patented design
- Can be heated on stove top
- When you make a delicious cup of coffee you don’t want it to absorb any odors, so that’s why this Chemex pour over coffee maker is made out of borosilicate glass. It’s non-porous so it won’t absorb any odors or residue.
- After use, this coffee maker can be covered and put into the fridge and then reheated at a later stage without your coffee losing any flavor.
- If you want to keep your coffee warm after making it, you can put this coffee maker on a glass stove top or make use of a gas flame, as long as you use low heat.
- You can make eight cups of coffee with this pour-over coffee equipment.
- You can’t warm up this coffee maker on an electric coil stove top unless you own a Chemex stainless steel wire grid to prevent it from breaking.
- This Chemex coffee maker is probably not a good choice for you if you want fast coffee in the mornings as it takes time to use. However, amazon customers who have reviewed the product have reported that it’s really easy to use.
- Due to its design, this coffee maker is a bit difficult to clean.
- People have said that this coffee maker tends to break easily, so you’ll have to be very careful with it.
- It comes with a leather tie and wood collar that not only looks attractive but makes it safe to handle.
Not only will this Chemex coffee maker look beautiful in any kitchen but it provides a richer, tastier cup of coffee every time. If you want to return to the art of making coffee, this is the best pour over coffee method to try.
Runner Up: brim 8 Cup Pour Over Coffee Maker
While using a pour-over manual device to make your own coffee at home can be fun, sometimes you want the convenience of using a coffee machine. This coffee dripper by brim will take your coffee to a higher level. Here’s what you should know about it.
- Pour-over shower head
- Permanent coffee filter
- Shut-off feature
- This machine comes with a pour-over shower head. This increases the saturation of your coffee granules so that you can get more flavor in your coffee cup.
- One of the best things about this coffee maker is that it maintains a temperature of between 197.6 degrees Fahrenheit to 204.8 degrees Fahrenheit. This ensures optimal extraction of flavor from the coffee.
- It comes with a permanent coffee filter. Not only does this make it more convenient to use, but it prevents you from having to make use of single-use filters that are wasteful and bad for the environment.
- The metal filter that comes with this machine is said to leave behind a residue.
- For the ultimate convenience, this coffeemaker has a 30-minute automatic shut-off feature to save energy.
- This coffee maker is easy to use and only takes a few minutes to brew a pot.
This coffeemaker’s got all the features you want in a coffee maker: convenience, efficiency, and customization, so you can always produce the best-tasting coffee at home.
Alternative: COSORI Pour Over Coffee Maker
If you’re looking for a really budget-friendly coffee machine that won’t let you down, this Cosori pour-over coffee maker is a must to consider.
- Stainless steel filter
- Borosilicate glass decanter
- Extra items included
- If you want more control over your coffee (and that’s really the whole point of switching to the pour-over variety), this coffee maker will give that to you. You can change the water flow, temperature, and concentration of coffee so that you get the type of coffee you want instead of a standard cup that you’d get from a coffee shop.
- It comes with a stainless steel filter. This has dual layers of stainless steel that let the coffee’s oils through so that your cup has more flavor in it. It’s also better for the environment than if you have to use disposable paper filters every time you make a cup of coffee.
- The coffee maker’s decanter is made of high-quality borosilicate glass. It’s resistant to heat so you can heat it on a low flame or stovetop.
- It’s really easy to clean. You can wash the filter and decanter in your dishwasher. As for the sleeve tie and wooden sleeve, these can easily be cleaned with a cloth.
- Some people who have purchased this coffee maker have reported that it doesn’t stay hot for long.
- Others have reported that the filter handle can easily break off.
- For the price, it’s quite amazing that you get extra items with your purchase: a solid wooden sleeve and scoop that’s free of harmful chemicals such as BPA.
- The coffeemaker comes with an instruction manual that will help you along your journey to making the best coffee, such as by giving you useful pouring tips.
If you want a cheap coffee maker that won’t let you down. It’s the most budget-friendly coffee maker on our list so far.
Alternative: ParkBrew Pour Over Coffee Maker
This pour over coffee dripper is another one that doesn’t cost a lot of money. It’s perfect for beginners and experienced coffee makers alike, and has many features you’ll love using. Here’s what to know about it.
- Spill-free spout
- Silicone carafe lid
- Channel spout design
- This pour-over coffee maker is durable and set to last you a long time, thanks to how it’s made of thick borosilicate glass so it’s not likely to break easily.
- It prevents splashes and spills, meaning you don’t have to worry about cleaning up after making coffee. This is as a result of its spout that’s been carefully designed to have a channel design instead of the common “v” design that’s used in many other coffee makers.
- It comes with a measurement guide so you can get the perfect ratios of water and coffee to make the best pour over coffee.
- This, as well as the detailed instructions on how to make pour-over coffee that are included with the machine, makes it great for beginners.
- It comes with a carafe lid that’s made of heat-resistant silicone. This helps to keep your coffee warmer for longer.
- A stainless steel filter is also included with your purchase.
- Some people have reported that the metal filter isn’t fine enough.
- Others have reported that they didn’t receive a metal filter with their purchase.
- You can use the carafe lid as a filter holder – simply turn it upside down!
- It’s nice to know that when you purchase this coffee maker, the company is committed to doing great things. A percentage of their profits is donated to the National Park Foundation, which is the official charitable partner of the National Park Service.
This is the best coffee dripper you can find on the market. It has many high-end features that will enable you to have a much tastier cup of coffee without the fuss.
Alternative: Aquach Pour Over Coffee Maker Set
This is more like a pour-over coffee kit rather than just a coffee maker. You get great extra items with your purchase to help you perfect your pour-over coffee method.
- XL filter
- Easy-access handle
- Bamboo tray included
- This pour-over coffee machine comes with an extra-large filter that’s made out of stainless steel. Not only is this better for the environment than paper, but it contains a dual-layer design to make your coffee tastier and smoother.
- The carafe is made out of thickened borosilicate glass so it won’t break easily.
- It’s also designed with filter holes in its lid. This can be used to filter tea leaves, thus making this coffee machine so much more versatile.
- To make it easier than ever to get the right coffee-to-water ratio when brewing a cup, the carafe has a cup count measurement.
- There are no real drawbacks to purchasing this coffee maker and kit, but there aren’t that many reviews of the product.
- The carafe has an easy-access handle for extra comfort.
- You’ll receive a bamboo tray with your purchase. This is great for storing your coffeemaker while also preventing stains on your kitchen counter or table.
- The purchase also includes a rustproof measuring spoon.
This pour over coffee maker and kit is highly-rated, earning 4.8 stars out of 5 on Amazon. It’s the perfect way to get started with making coffee by using the pour over method.
Pour Over Coffee Maker FAQ
Now that we’ve looked at the best pour over coffee maker for every budget, you might want to know a bit more about pour-over coffee and why it’s become such a trend… again.
What is different about pour-over coffee?
Pour-over coffee is a game changer when it comes to making your favorite beverage because it’s focused on two things: simplicity and customization.
Instead of relying on a machine to make your coffee for you, you can make use of pouring devices that keep the process of making coffee simple and elegant.
This also results in how you make coffee being more of an art. It makes you think of coffee artisans and the love and patience that goes into making a delicious cup of hot coffee.
When it comes to customization, pour-over coffee methods give you much more control over many different aspects of coffee making. For example, you can be in control of how much water you pour over your coffee grounds and at what temperature.
You can choose the coffee grounds you want to use and how much of them so that you get the coffee taste that you want. This puts you in greater control over your coffee when making it at home.
When it comes to the taste of pour-over coffee, many people vouch for how this type of coffee actually tastes better. The reason for this is because pour-over coffee tends to take a longer time to brew. This allows more flavor to come out of the coffee granules.
By maintaining a steady, slow water flow over the coffee granules, this ensures that fragrant oils in the coffee are released into your cup. In addition to that, the use of filters helps to prevent too many oils from being released, which can alter the coffee taste.
The above point also means that pour-over coffee is ideal for single-origin coffees. This is because it helps to boost their aroma and flavor much more than other coffee-brewing methods.
Is drip coffee the same as pour-over coffee?
It might seem like there’s not much difference between drip coffee and pour-over coffee, and they certainly do share some similarities. For example, both of these coffee-making methods make use of filters to enhance the taste of the coffee that’s brewed.
To make it easy to remember, drip coffee has been said to be the mechanized version of pour-over coffee!
To go into a bit more detail, here’s what to know about drip coffee.
- Drip coffee is a simple, uncomplicated type of coffee-making method. It involves the use of thermally-induced pressure in the shower head of the coffee machine and gravity to move the water over and through the coffee grounds. So, it’s not just about pouring the water over the coffee granules but also using gravity to slowly drip the water over them to enhance the flavor of the coffee.
- Drip coffee makes use of filters that preserve the flavor of coffee but also trap excess oils that would enter other types of coffee, such as French press.
- The use of gravity in a drip coffee machine means that the process is slower, but this works in your favor because it means your coffee will have a more aromatic and flavorful result.
Despite the above, pour over coffee has some advantages over drip coffee. Here are some to consider:
- Pour-over coffee devices are easier to clean than drip coffee brewers, so that means you can spend more time drinking your coffee and less time cleaning your kitchen appliances!
- They’re usually cheaper than drip coffee machines.
- Although making coffee with the use of a pour over coffee maker in a manual way might take a bit longer than using a drip machine, especially if you’re trying it for the first time, this tends to feel more rewarding.
Is pour-over coffee bad for you?
Have you ever wondered if your pour-over coffee habit is unhealthy?
Before you put down your pour-over coffee in favor of a different brew, here are two important studies that will have you rethinking your decision.
A study via Today found that filtered coffee is healthier than unfiltered coffee.
In the study, the male participants who consumed unfiltered coffee showed a higher risk of mortality than those who didn’t drink coffee, and the participants who drank one to four cups of filtered coffee per day were found to have the lowest rates of mortality.
That said, it’s always good to drink any coffee in moderation, and to avoid coffee if you’re sensitive to its effects.
It’s also important to note that the filters used in pour-over coffee have health benefits to offer you. These filters trap oils called diterpenes, such as kahweol and cafestol.
These inhibit receptors that are located in the body’s intestines which regulate cholesterol. This is why research via SFGate has found that if you consume unfiltered coffee for a month this could increase your cholesterol by around six to eight percent!
It’s clear to see that there are good reasons why you should invest in a pour-over coffee maker!
How do you make a pour-over coffee?
If you want to ensure that you make the most delicious coffee with the pour-over method, here are the important steps you should follow:
- Heat your water to around 200 degrees Fahrenheit. You should never use piping hot water on your coffee, so make sure that you bring your water to a boil and then allow it to stand for about half a minute. It’s also a good idea to use a kettle that has an in-built thermometer so you can be sure you get the perfect temperature.
- Use your favorite coffee grounds. If you’re not sure how much of them you should use, consider that 25g is approximately five tablespoons. You might have to experiment with different quantities of coffee to find the strength that you like the best. You will also have to consider the size of your coffee granules, bearing in mind that you don’t want to use coffee granules that are too fine as this will cause the coffee to brew too fast.
- If you’re using a paper filter, you will need to fold down its seam and put it over the pour-over cone. You want the paper filter to lie flat. Rinse the filter with some hot water to prepare it for the coffee as this is important to eliminate any paper odors so that they won’t get into the coffee and alter its taste.
- Run the water over your coffee granules. This is the first pour and it’s known as the bloom pour. This is the most exciting part of the process because when the water makes contact with the coffee grounds, CO2 escapes and also expands. After this happens, the coffee grounds will absorb water better, and this will help to extract more flavor from the coffee. The reason why this is called the bloom is because once the coffee granules absorb water, they will expand, or bloom. Stir the water-coffee blend gently for about 15 or so seconds.
- After you have poured some water over your coffee granules, you should stop for about 30 seconds before continuing to pour hot water over your granules. Try to pour the water in a spiral pattern, then in a straight line. This ensures an even soaking of the granules.
- You should stick to a steady stream of water when you pour it over the coffee, but avoid doing it too quickly. You want to take your time so that it extracts all the flavor. As a good guideline, you should take between 30 and 60 seconds to pour all the water through the filter. Overall, the coffee brewing process should only take about three minutes, and that includes the time after you have poured the water.
Extra Tips For Perfecting Your Pour-Over Coffee
Getting the best coffee by using the pour-over method takes time, passion, and patience.
If you’ve never done it before, you will need to experiment with different coffee and water quantities, and ensure you’ve got the right equipment at your disposal, such as the pour-over coffee makers we’ve included in this guide. However, there are also some other tips to bear in mind.
- You should always ensure that you stick to the best ratios for your coffee and water. It’s been found that the best ratio is 60g of coffee for one liter of water. By remembering this, you can calculate the perfect amounts to get the best-tasting coffee every time.
- A gooseneck kettle is really helpful to drench the coffee granules, but if you don’t have one handy don’t worry – you can simply transfer the hot water to a container that has a spout so that you can better control the pour-over method.
- Warm your cup first before you pour coffee into it. No one wants a cold cup of coffee! A good trick to prevent this is to warm your cup before you put coffee into it by pouring boiling water into it. This will help to keep your coffee warmer for longer, and it’s especially a smart idea if you’re pouring your coffee into a travel mug.
Want to make the switch to pour-over coffee?
There are many good reasons why this coffee-brewing method is becoming so popular.
Not only does it ensure greater simplicity and more control over your favorite beverage, but it also gives you the chance to make use of the best pour over coffee maker for every budget so that you will never have to taste bad coffee again!
In this guide, we’ve featured five pour over coffee maker reviews so you can choose the one that fits your lifestyle in the best way.
Last Updated on November 13, 2020